Jury finds two protesters guilty of trespass during pipeline construction

Link to original article: http://thegraphic-advocate.com/content/jury-finds-two-protesters-guilty-trespass-during-pipeline-construction

Coverage by The Graphic-Advocate, Rockwell City, Iowa, October 24, 2017

A six-person jury deliberated more than two hours Thursday evening before finding a Rockwell City woman and an Omaha man guilty of trespassing on a pipeline construction easement.

Emma Schmit, of Rockwell City, and Tosun Mahmud Fitil, of Omaha, said they were disappointed with the verdict, which their attorney plans to appeal.

“This is a clear case of the 1 percent versus the 99 percent,” Schmit said, referring to descriptions of the American population divided by the top 1 percent of wealth holders and the other 99 percent of Americans.

She wasn’t happy to see “county tax dollars (used) to defense a multibillion dollar corporation,” she said.

Schmit and Fitil were arrested Oct. 29, 2016, on Shirley Gerjets’ farm east of Rockwell City. They were part of a planned protest of the Dakota Access pipeline, which obtained an easement through Gerjets’ land via eminent domain. Schmit said she was opposed to use of eminent domain – government sanctioned taking of land for a project – because she didn’t think the pipeline was a public project or generated a public benefit.


9 thoughts on “Jury finds two protesters guilty of trespass during pipeline construction

  • Cloudz Vapor

    I manage a vape store website directory and we have had a posting from a vape shop in the USA that additionally sells CBD goods. A Calendar month later on, PayPal has written to use to say that our account has been restricted and have asked us to take out PayPal as a payment method from our vape shop website directory. We do not sell CBD items like CBD oil. We simply provide promotion and marketing solutions to CBD companies. I have visited Holland & Barrett– the UK’s Reputable Health Retailer and if you take a close peek, you will see that they offer for sale a reasonably considerable series of CBD product lines, primarily CBD oil and they also happen to accept PayPal as a payment solution. It emerges that PayPal is employing double standards to many different companies. Because of this constraint, I can no longer accept PayPal on my CBD-related site. This has limited my payment options and right now, I am intensely reliant on Cryptocurrency payments and direct bank transfers. I have consulted with a barrister from a Magic Circle law office in The city of london and they stated that what PayPal is undertaking is absolutely illegal and discriminatory as it should be applying a systematic benchmark to all companies. I am yet to speak to one more attorney from a US law firm in The city of london to see what PayPal’s legal position is in the United States. For the time being, I would be extremely appreciative if anybody here at targetdomain could provide me with alternative payment processors/merchants that deal with CBD companies.

    Reply
  • check my site latestbtcnews.com

    Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn anything like this before. So good to seek out any person with some original ideas on this subject. realy thank you for beginning this up. this web site is something that’s wanted on the internet, someone with a bit of originality. helpful job for bringing something new to the internet!

    Reply

Speak Your Mind

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>